WHAT IS LABOR SUPPORT? HOW CAN A BIRTH DOULA ASSIST?
Throughout the ages, in nearly all societies for which we have records, women have been helped and comforted in labor by other women. These women stayed throughout labor providing physical comfort, emotional reassurance, and information. Essentially, labor support is "mothering the mother." Today, labor support professionals called doulas (DOO-lah; Greek for "woman who serves") are trained to provide the comfort and care women and their partners need during labor.
WHAT IS THE BEST EVIDENCE ABOUT CONTINUOUS SUPPORT DURING LABOR?
The largest and most recent systematic test* found that when compared to women who did not receive continuous support, those who received continuous support were LESS LIKELY to:
• 28% less likely to give birth by cesarean section
• 31% less likely to use synthetic oxytocin to speed up labor
• 9% less likely to use any pain medications and
• 34% less likely to be dissatisfied with or negatively rate their birth experience
*(Hodnett and colleagues 2011)
ABOUT POSTPARTUM DOULAS
In the first weeks after a baby is born, a postpartum doula can offer the extra support that families need. When mothers of newborns have special care at home, there is an increased probability of successful breastfeeding and lower risk of postpartum depression. The mother can better heal from birth and learn to take care of her baby in her home environment.
Postpartum services may include:
• a home visit to help prepare for the baby
• care for postpartum physical needs
• emotional support for the postpartum period
• hands-on instruction in basic newborn care, infant massage, and soothing techniques
breastfeeding support and instruction
• screening for problems with mother or baby and help finding solutions in the community (referrals)
• laundry, meal preparation and tidying
• running errands and grocery shopping
• helping older siblings adjust
• baby care while mother rests, bathes, etc.
• support as partner learns to care for baby
• instruction on the safe use of baby equipment
WHAT IS REIKI?
Reiki is a technique that uses the channeling of energy through subtle touch. This flow of energy acts as a natural healing process within the client's body, helping them to regain mental clarity, physical well-being, and emotional balance. Used in pregnancy, Reiki can bond mother and child, alleviate physical discomfort, and diminish anxiety and stress. Best of all, it's calming effect helps relax mama and baby as they grow together in utero and post-partum!
WHAT IS HypnoBirthing® Childbirth Education?
HypnoBirthing is a method of birthing without fear in a state of deep relaxation. By removing the fear tension pain cycle, we open up the possibilities of calm joyous birth. HypnoBirthing uses self-hypnosis, guided imagery and deep relaxation during the birthing process. HypnoBirthing requires dedication and practice before the birth of your child. HypnoBirthing helps families birth calmly, safely, and gently.
WHAT IS Birthing From Within?
Birthing From Within's approach to childbirth is primarily a journey of self-awareness and self-discovery, and a surrender to the mystery--and the uncontrollable nature--of childbirth. Its focus is less on striving for a specific method of birthing, and more on preparing oneself--body, mind and spirit--so that when the surprises arise during birth (and they always do!) then the risk of experiencing trauma is much less likely because the mentality of "this isn't how it was supposed to be..." isn't there
RATES VARY, BUT HERE IS A ROUGH GUIDE ON WHAT YOU MAY EXPECT
Birth Doula $1000-$1400
Post Partum Services $25-$35/hr
Childbirth Education $250-$400
Maternity, Newborn, Family photography $250+
discounts and payment plans available per individual provider.